26 Nov 2021 Staying safe with your decorations this Christmas
Does anyone else hear jingling bells in the distance? That’s right, Christmas is on the way! Now that we’re entering the festive period, the temptation to dust off the decorations and string up those Christmas lights is becoming stronger…
Don’t forget, when you have a fireplace standing proudly in your home there are some precautions you should take to make sure you’re staying safe. So, when you’re hauling your Christmas tree and fairy lights out of storage, follow our tips to make sure your safety standards are high when decorating.
- No hanging decorations – Over the Christmas period, hanging stockings over the mantlepiece is a tradition. However, dangling decorations over your fire is a recipe for disaster. Even if they’re not dropping past your surround, there’s the danger of them falling into the fire when you’re not looking. This is potentially hazardous! Whether it’s stockings or decorative wreaths, ensure they’re placed a safe distance from the flames.
- No wax candles – Although wax candles can look spellbinding on top of your fireplace, they can pose a little problem. As the heat rises from your fire, it’s likely to melt your wax candles and this can drip down your surround. While this might not be the end of the world, dribbling wax on your surround isn’t ideal. Make sure you put your candles elsewhere to avoid bits of wax breaking off – the last thing you want is children or pets ingesting this!
- Flame retardant materials – One of the most important things to remember when decorating your home for Christmas is that you must use flame retardant materials. If you don’t do this, you’re at risk of a fire starting in your home. So, make sure your tinsel is in line with fire safety and keep it an appropriate distance from the flames.
- Keep your tree intact! – If you place your (real) tree too close to your fire, you could risk it drying out. This means that your tree may not last the full festive season! Plus, if your tree is dry, it will be more susceptible to catching fire. Making sure your tree is away from your fireplace and watering it frequently will make sure you’re safe, whilst also helping you to get the most out of your tree.
- Keep your wires out of sight – When putting up your Christmas fairy lights, it’s imperative that your wires aren’t in the line of fire. If your wires are too close to the flames, it could cause them to catch fire, posing problems for your electrical system. Place your lights safely away from your fireplace and ensure your home and family are protected during the Christmas period.
- Fireplace guards – This is applicable all year round, but a fire guard can make sure that your children or pets aren’t in danger from the flames. It can also create a helpful separation between the fireplace and the rest of the room, meaning you may feel safer putting up decorations. Don’t worry about Santa getting stuck in your fireplace, he has his magic ways…
If you need some tips on decorating your fireplace to make the most of the Christmas period, we have a few suggestions. Now that you’re confident on how to decorate safely, it’s important to be happy with your fireplace in your home! If you think yours could benefit from an upgrade, Fiveways Fires & Stoves has a variety of choices that can make your home look like it belongs in a magazine.
To discuss installing a new fireplace in your home, contact us by calling 0208 127 4747 or email . We’ll be more than happy to give you exactly what you’re looking for – next year’s Christmas decorations will be off the charts!